Saturday, September 17, 2011

a hankering for cheese, and spice, and... yum...

I really wanted some mexican food today. I when I say really, I mean really wanted some mexican food. There were, however, a few problems with this craving. For one, it's a home game day, which means crazy busy traffic and tons of people. Everywhere. Two, it would totally derail my diet. I am NOT dieting for weight, I just want to eat healthy, and cheesy cheesy quesadillas with bacon and cooked in butter are, don't get me wrong, wonderful, but not necessarily something my bum needs. Three, it's expensive to eat out. Mucho dolares. And lastly...

I'm still in my jammies.

Luckily I raided the kitchen (sorry mom) and got together the ingredients for a healthier, quick quesadilla that I wouldn't have to shower for.


Simple, Healthy Quesadillas

1/2 pound of turkey sausage (I prefer medium spiced)
1 jalapeno, de-veined and de-seeded
1 small-medium tomato
low-fat (part-skim) mozzarella
four 8" whole wheat tortillas
non-stick cooking spray

In a small saucepan, cook the sausage until brown and crumbly. While that is cooking, chop the jalapeno very fine, and the tomatoes as well. Let them drain on a paper towel to wick away excess moisture (it will keep your tortilla from getting soggy and drippy). When your sausage is done, do the same. Drain it of all the extra fat.

Heat up a skillet or pan on medium heat and, when hot, spray lightly with cooking spray (it will help the tortillas brown nicely). Put in two tortillas at a time, sprinkling one half with cheese, veggies and sausage. Fold over the tortillas and cook them exactly like you would a grilled cheese sandwich. Wait til the cheese is nice and melty, and flip it to brown the other side.

Guilt-free add-ons? Salsa (no fat!) and low-fat sour cream. This recipe will serve two people at two quesadillas each.

Yum. And I didn't even have to take off my jammies!

P.S. don't ever rub your nose after handling peppers. Ow.

No comments:

Post a Comment