Friday, November 18, 2011

holy crap has it really been a month?

Wow, I guess it really has been. Quite a month too. I could spend, frankly, hours ruminating about it on my blog because (lets be real), no one reads it! But I didn't start this blog with the intention of being a downer. I wanted to start over, do new things, be positive about life for a change.

So, a few quick updates. I tried Paula Deen's Chocolate Bread Pudding and it was a huge success with Dad. Dad is my culinary measure - he is never afraid to tell me what needs what or if I've made a mis-step (which, if I may brag a little, doesn't happen often). He also is not a huge guy for sweets, which is why I was astonished when he took a big bowl of it, still warm from the oven, half-drowned it in milk, and said it was the best he'd had since he was a kid. I had some warm, too, with ice cream, and I wasn't as big a fan, but Dad kept coming back for more, every day! I preferred mine after it had chilled in the fridge for a day (a tip I picked up off an episode of Sugar High on Food Network) because... I guess when it was warm, even though it is supposed to be a pudding, the texture just reminded me of undercooked pastry. When it was cold... It more felt like it should, I don't know, BE that way. So, interesting to say I have tried it, now, moving on.

The dew drops shawl is still in knitting purgatory. I am afraid it might remain there until the holiday knitting is complete (I have at least seven projects on my list right now).


I did finish another shawl, however: the Beloved shawl from redheart.com. I made some really heavy modifications to the pattern, and if I made it again I would still probably make more changes. I want to say I was "conned" into it by the beautiful picture on the pattern, and that was probably the main fault I found with the pattern: the picture you see does not match the one in the pattern. The motif itself is lovely, and can be used to great effect, just be careful with this pattern.


Part of my own personal problem isn't with the pattern at all. I used acrylic. I know, I know, never use acrylic on lace, it doesn't block, etc. etc. I thought with the weight of the object it would naturally "block itself" but I kinda screwed myself with the edging, which is supposed to be pointed lace. Well, if your points don't block out, they end up looking like... ruffles, because the stitch number expands too fast for it to lay flat. Bottom line though is I had to knit out of the stash, and that's what I had enough of.

Yeah, I'm just gonna move on to a new post...

No comments:

Post a Comment