Monday, January 2, 2012

A Resolution, and A Revelation


A new year. Every year, I tend to make the same resolutions - stay healthier, work out more, clean more, stay more organized, etc. Every year I tend to fall off the wagon by February. So my resolution for this year is simple - for it to be a better year than last year.

Let us just say - if I am in my parent's house at this time next year, I have failed in my resolution. Not that I don't love them - they are wonderful people - but I think all of us would be happier if I was in my own place!

In my crafty progress, I made reusable shopping bags for everyone in my family. Not a far cry from my resolution last year, but between June and November my family shrunk by about 14 members, so it was actually a lot easier to meet that resolution. I used the Singlet-Style Shopping Bag pattern from Craftster.org, great pattern, easy to follow, and works great with fat quarters. (I'll try to get pictures from my family members).

For my sister-in-law, she requested cabled fingerless mitts with "buttons" on the palms. So I modified a design from Designer One-Skein Wonders. I wrote a small review of the pattern on my ravelry page , and I basically used the same modifications plus changed the cable and the palm charts.



I used less than one skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Heathers. Loved it during the knitting, but we'll see how it holds up to lots of wear.


And I suppose you're wondering why there's a picture of brussel sprouts at the top of my post. That's my revelation. I had brussel sprouts for the first time on New Year's Eve. I decided if I was going to spend New Year's on my own, the least I could do was treat myself to a nice dinner. So I grilled some bacon-wrapped steak, and decided to try brussel sprouts.

I cut the stems and halved fresh ones (about 2/3 pound), put a half-inch of water in the bottom of a glass dish, covered it and steamed them in the microwave for 6 minutes. When they were done I discarded the remaining water and poured on this sauce:

2 slices bacon, chopped fairly fine
about 1/3-1/2 cup white wine
2 Tbsp butter
1 chive, chopped
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
tsp. lemon juice

Over medium heat, brown bacon bits in saucepan and pour off liquid fat without scraping the pan. Deglaze with the wine, scraping up the yummy bits on the bottom of the pan, and add butter, lemon juice, and garlic. When butter is melted, add chives.

They were fan-frickin-tastic. I loved them. LOVED them. I have no idea why I've been avoiding them all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment