Monday, March 12, 2012

The Liliaceae Saga, Part II: The Kool-Aid Tragedy

When we last left off, I was in the middle of an experiment over-dyeing (as in dyeing over, not super saturating) one of my original purple swatches (top right). The 1/2-blue-1/2-purple swatch (on the left) was too blue, so originally I dyed the shawl with a 5/1 ratio of purple to blue (the shawl was 5.5 oz, and it's recommended to use 1 package of kool-aid (no knock-offs) per ounce). I wasn't happy with the color, so I took my second purple swatch and dyed it again in a less concentrated blue wash (top middle). I loved that color, so I did the shawl. Didn't like it.


In the end, though, I have to live with it because I'm not dyeing/blocking the thing a third time. It is an interesting color... in artificial light it still looks brown, but in the sun you can see the red and purple tones. Truly, not even photoshop can alter the photo enough to give the color justice.


It's wonderfully soft and light.


And oh-so-drapey.


Now I'm on to my next project. This is my baby henley with a "quilted" pattern. Yes, that one little sheet of paper with chart and scribbles is the entire pattern. I've been on a designing kick lately... the chainlink hat, two baby blankets, a shawl, a convertible shrug, and now the henley (which also might possibly have an incarnation as a v-neck cardigan). Only the hat, one of the blankets, and the henley is in progress, but we'll see. Usually the process starts with a stitch pattern or a theme and radiates out from there. It occured to me the other day that I design knitwear the way I cook: if I don't know how to make something, I'll look at a bunch of recipes and cobble together my own.


So far, so good. Now I just need a baby to try it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment