Monday, April 2, 2012

a funky little scarf


This little gem is the start of the Dotted Scarf from the book Odd Ball Knitting by Barbara Albright. This book has a brilliant concept - use up leftover bits of yarn in functional, funky projects. I'd like to do a bit more in-depth of the review later, and instead talk about the genesis of this scarf.

See, last Friday I was hanging out at the yarn store where I work (big surprise, right? me, in a yarn store?) and one of my coworkers was going through the scrap box. See, we knit samples for the store, and whatever's left of the skein gets but into this box. We mostly had small scraps, in between ping-pong and tennis ball size, but we also had nearly a whole skein of this lovely dark green. Sans label and unfit for sale.

This scarf is really neato-nifty because it's this combination between knitting and weaving, using one main color for the knitting and (in the book) one contrasting color for the weaving, which you do as you go along. The mechanics were a bit tricky at first, but once I got the hang of it I was flying. Instead of using one contrast color, I'm using a multitude of colors and only doing two rows, leaving the ends to hang free all on the same side. All different colors, fibers, textures, and thicknesses. When I'm finished the fringe will be knotted and trimmed on the side, and we'll have a funky scarf to display with the book. Best part is, anyone can use their scrap stash for this project, but you still need that full skein for your main color.

Its so funny, I get so oddly attached to these scrap projects. I made a really simple quick crocheted shawl out of mismatched skeins and balls I had leftover from a large project and it's one of my favorite shawls. I'm going to have a hard time leaving this one at the yarn store.

No comments:

Post a Comment